Sunday 10 November 2013

Being Vegetarian in Amsterdam

It's surprisingly not too bad to be a vegetarian in Amsterdam. I'm really impressed with the amount of vegetarian food alternatives in the supermarkets. 


There are whole isles full of tofu, quorn and veggie food. I felt very happy about that and became very relaxed about the food I was eating. Until a few days ago, when a friend mentioned that the cheese and bread had renet and pig fat in them.  I really hadn't realised. I'm so used to being able to eat most cheeses and all bread in the UK, I didn't think to check. So I raced home and pulled all the cheese out of the fridge. Yup, it all had, 'stremsel' in. Bugger. Had to give it all away and go in search of vegetarian cheese.
Vegetarian Cheese


There's no animal rennet in soft cheese, such as mozerella. I've also been able to buy Cathedral Cheddar and Leerdammer cheese has no animal rennet in it. Bio cheese (organic cheese) apparently also doesn't contain animal rennet.

Eating out is not great, but then it's often not so great in UK, so I'm used to always having the pasta option. We've been out to an Indonesian restaurant, which was great. 

Bread is not straight forward either. Some of the breads contain 920 L cysteine, also called 'broodverbeteraar', which is mostly made from pig hair. Particularly baguettes and pastries. Luckily, I have a bread maker and will be buying kosher bread from now on.

Animal products are also sometimes used in the production of wine and filtering clear apple juice too. It's a bit of a minefield, really. I think once you know which brands are 'safe', it's not too bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment