Monday 9 February 2015

Birthdays as an Expat

Normally, a birthday would involve inviting my two sisters and their children, my parents, a few neighbours and maybe a friend or two round for a tea party. A tea party for me (being English) is about making many cakes of different sizes and variations, cutting up some fruit and vegetables and breadsticks. We play a few games with the children and make a lot of noise. That's how we've celebrated our children's birthdays for the past seven years. 

While we've been here, we've had visitors for a birthday, which has made me not notice what it would be like if we didn't have visitors. It is my son's third birthday this Wednesday and we don't have any visitors. I don't know who to ask. I feel awkward asking people I only know to say 'hello' to at school. Should I ask my neighbours? I don't really know them very well either. My instincts are to go crazy baking many cakes and buying balloons. But who for? It feels kind of fake as I don't really count anyone as my son's 'friend' yet. 

So this year, we're not having a tea party. We will go out to eat as a family and maybe go on a day trip at the weekend instead. It does feel kind of weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment